Thursday, July 02, 2015

PRIMITIVES ARE MY THING



Someone asked me recently what draws me to primitives.

I think it's my earliest memories, and my desire to surround myself with things from my childhood, that fuel my desire to collect, and decorate with primitives.

When I was born we lived in KY. My parents both had jobs there with US Shoe Company. My Grandparents lived across the river,in Ohio on a small farm, with lots of barns,sheds,a chicken brooder house, and a great old farmhouse.

I so looked forward to every weekend when my parents, my sister, and I would pile into the car, rain, snow, or shine, and head to Grandpa and Grandma's.  No interstate, just two lane roads, and familiar landmarks along the way. One of the best parts of this was seeing my Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. We would all eat a big dinner, and then; weather permitting, the cousins were off to explore the nooks and crannies of the barns, play softball, army, or take a hike "down the lane".



Grandma had a wringer washer on her back porch, and Grandpa's shed included a pot belly stove to heat it on winter days when he would tinker there. Grandpa was an Auctioneer by trade, and always had things like a goat cart, and an old Victrola record player he had bought to resell, and then never did.
Grandma used crocks to make sauerkraut, and pickles. She also had  coal oil lamps that she would use if the electric went out. I even remember the old outhouse (by my time, it had long been out of service).



I am so thankful for those weekend commutes for so many reasons. We never know where life will take us. Every day is a learning experience that we do not realize at the time.

 Families do not seem to connect on that same level today, and I am sure that the things I am drawn to are because those were some of my best memories.

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add a comment